Job Opportunities at Participatory Plantation Forestry Programme (PFP 2)
Participatory Plantation Forestry Programme (PFP 2) is a bilateral assistance programme between the governments of Finland and Tanzania, which aims to promote sustainable and inclusive private forestry that contributes to Tanzania’s economic growth and alleviates poverty. The programme is implemented in 80 villages from 10 Districts/Town Councils of Kilolo, Mufindi, Mafinga, Njombe DC and TC, Makambako, Ludewa, Wanging’ombe, Makete and Madaba.
PFP 2 commissioned the company, Leapfrog, to carry out and oversee a series of furniture design sprints, aimed at transitioning the furniture industry in Tanzania and allowing it to better suit the requirements of the urban middleclass. At the same time, PFP 2 has international experts assisting a number of small wood processing companies in the southern highlands by offering them advice on operational improvements and exposing them to new technologies. The aim of the international experts is to support the development and provide training and advice to the small and medium enterprises involved in wood products and furniture manufacturing. Unfortunately, their time in the country is limited, and PFP 2 would like to hire a carpentry tutor who will receive training and work alongside the experts in their fields. The carpentry tutor will be involved in the Leapfrog project where they will be exposed to new innovative furniture designs and manufacturing processes. The wealth of knowledge, and level of exposure to improved methods from the international experts will hopefully build his/her capacity as a carpentry tutor, and the skills and experience gained can be taught and passed on, long after the international experts have left.
- Forestry and Wood Industries Training Centre (FWITC)- Mafinga
- Reports to FWITC Centre manager
Duties and responsibilities.
- Provides support to FWITC management on commercial furniture manufacturing including management of a production team in terms of production outputs, product quality, material acquisition, designs, customers and sales, machine maintenance management, BOP and OSH.
- Tutor for FWITC’s VETA carpentry training programme.
- Support furniture SME’s capacity building under guidance of the furniture expert.
- Understand the furniture design sprint process and guide future experts in this process.
- Lead implementation of joinery and carpentry courses at FWITC
- Work with, and under the guidance of the international timber technologist
- Act as national carpenter to phase 2 of the “Strengthening Advanced Furniture Manufacture in Iringa Region”
- Assist expansion of SME support throughout the Southern Highlands
January 2022 to December 2022 (dependent on successful completion of internal training and 6-month probation period) with the possibility of extension up to October 2023 depending on performance and need.
- Diploma or equivalent level in carpentry/furniture manufacturing/wood technology
- Fluent in Swahili and English
- Proven competence in safe operation of typical furniture workshop machinery
- Experience in vocational education and training in carpentry would be an added advantage
WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU:
- A comprehensive compensation package for a position.
- Ability to make a difference and lasting impact.
- Work in a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, and high-performing team.
- Opportunities to grow and learn with the industry colleagues are endless.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Applicants are invited to submit their Application letters and CV’s/Resume’s
- Indicating the role title “CAPENTRY TUTOR” in the subject of your email
Send your application via e-mail to [email protected] If you are not contacted by Participatory Plantation Forestry Programme (PFP 2) within seven (7) days after the closing date, you should consider your application as unsuccessful. Short listed candidates may be subjected to any of the following: security clearance; competency assessment; physical capability assessment, reference checking.
BEWARE OF CONMEN! PFP 2 does not receive money in exchange for a job position. Should you be asked for money in exchange for a job offer or suspect such activity, please report this immediately to Prevention and Combating of Corruption Bureau Telephone 113; text message 113 or *113#
The deadline for submitting the application is 15 January 2022.